Monday, April 14, 2014

WSUS and Windows Internal Database

As I sit here waiting for a build to complete and for a database to restore, I started fiddling with my new Windows Server 2012 instance.  Weird, the available memory is super low so I take look and I see that there is a mystery SQL Server instance running something called the Windows Internal Database.  What’s that all about?

I guess I have been living under a rock in terms of this subject.  Windows Internal Database (WID) is a version of SQL Server 2005-2012 that Microsoft ships with Windows Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2.  It is a variant of SQL Express that is designed to be used by Windows Services.  It cannot be uninstalled and it is used by a variety of Microsoft products, including WSUS (which is how I discovered it—I was trying to figure out why available memory dropped so dramatically after I installed WSUS), ADRMS, Resource Manager, and a couple of others.

You can connect (only locally and preferably using the same account used to install Windows) through the pipe called \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query (for 2012).  I was able to throttle memory usage on WID but expanding databases caused SQL Management Studio to hang.

Learn something new every day!

1 comment:

mariya dell said...

Hi, you explained the topic very well. The contents has provided meaningful information thanks for sharing info.
Project Management

Disclaimer

Content on this site is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. Additionally, all content on this site is my own personal opinion and does not represent my employer's view in any way.